ReallyTopDrawer

Monday, March 10, 2008

Eyesore or work of art?


Nancy and Ned said it was kind of scary and weird. The Denver Post says otherwise...

"It took 16 years of legal squabbles, skepticism and extraordinary sacrifice, but the tortured creative journey of Luis Jimenez's "Mustang" finally came to a close in February with its installation at Denver International Airport.

The wait was worth it. The gleaming, 32-foot-tall sculpture of a rearing horse is nothing short of a masterpiece, a monumental public work in which Denver, and indeed the entire region, can justifiably take enormous pride.

As one of the first artworks many visitors will see upon arriving in the city, it makes a strong statement that Denver aspires to cultural sophistication at the same time that it takes pride in the distinctive art and history of the West."

Read the rest of the article here...

Maybe you have to see it in person to decide.

6 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

Hmmm, I still say it's scary. I actually like the photo at the top of the Post story, with the mustange silhouetted against the mountains - if that's what it looked like in person I'd be all for it. But the crazy blue color and the freaky lit-up eyes make it look like a devil horse. But maybe that's just me.

Further, I don't understand how a sentence like this makes it past an editor:

Beginning with works, such as his landmark "Man on Fire" (1969), a stylized depiction of the Aztec ruler Cuauhtemoc, the trailblazing Hondo, N.M., sculptor played a critical role in bringing Chicano art and subject matter into the mainstream.

For the love of grammar! So many commas and dependent clauses, it makes my head spin. Yuck.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger thew said...

I'm firmly in the eyesore/devil-horse camp. Maybe if it didn't have the big red glowing eyes it would be better. When I got into Denver late thursday night and drove by it all I could do was scream in terror.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

It makes me wonder what happened to his horseman...and when the others will follow...and then there will be a bunch of driver-less cars and I can upgrade. So maybe it's a good thing after all!

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger suzaaku said...

i can't believe i'm saying this but now i can't wait to go to the airport and see it in person for myself.

i think he ate his horseman, or incinerated him with this burning eyes. or maybe it's the horseman in disguise...

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Tenly said...

Definitely creep glowing eyes. I was freaked out by it in person, too.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger WNelWeb said...

I'd like to see it someday. From the photos, it appears to be quite impressive, blue paint & glowing eyes notwithstanding.
In the meantime, I hope it doesn't get whanged into by a low flying Lear or something. That'd suck, wouldn't it?

Pax,
N

 

Post a Comment

<< Home