ReallyTopDrawer

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Foods of My People

The college where I work is doing a series of "regional lunches" to give everyone a taste of home. This week is the Southwest Lunch, which includes Colorado (!), Nevada, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. I got a preview of the menu yesterday:

Buffalo Burgers

Churros

Chili Con Carne

Calamari

Pecan Pralines

Whole Kernel Corn


Now, my first question is: from what southwestern ocean do they plan to import the calamari? Secondly, how have I missed all of the Pecan trees that are apparently growing in the Southwest?! Hilarious.

On the plus side, I'll happily eat a buffalo burger (I'm assured that these are made with buffalo meat, not just Buffalo-style with a side of blue cheese) and a few churros for dessert. Although I'm certain that they won't be as good as the puff pastry churros we made for New Year's Eve! I will make a follow-up report after I sample the Southwestern fare tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger suzaaku said...

At the WebGui conference in Madison I also got to enjoy a Southwestern buffet. I went to the catering menu of the Madison Concourse Hotel to dig up the list:

Cabbage slaw with smoked jalapeño
Grilled steak fajitas with a hint of lime
Grilled chicken fajitas with sautéed onions and peppers
Green chili and cheese quesadilla
Chipotle black beans
Tomato and cumin rice
Shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, green onions,
sliced black olives, shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream and salsa
Warm flour tortillas
Tri-color tortilla chips
Xangos
Lime cream pie

The most notable dessert is xangos- which is deep fried battered cheese cake. I have to say that between all my years in Arizona and Colorado, I've never had this or seen this.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

The Xangos sound more like midwestern fair food than anything.

I attended the southwest lunch last week, and while the buffalo burger was perfectly fine, the rest was disappointing. The churros were clearly out of a frozen package and for some reason had gross apple-flavored goo in the middle. Sad sad sad.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger suzaaku said...

it's sacrilege to put anything in the middle of a churro!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home