ReallyTopDrawer

Monday, December 10, 2007

Sappy Holidays Redux

This weekend, a lovely snowstorm provided me the opportunity to not only catch up on my Waltons viewing, but conduct additional research in the field of sappy holiday movies.

Since Nancy Drew first addressed the topic, there have been a few additions to the genre.

1. Single career chick learns the true meaning of Christmas, and ultimately, life. I watched a movie where Ally Walker finds true love after her child self, played by a rather young Hayden Panettiere, emerges to show her how to have fun and live life to the fullest. In case anyone is wondering how to live life to the fullest, it means not yelling at your assistant, wearing Christmas tree boxers, and dating the guy you work with.

2. Thieves learn that it is not nice to steal. This may not seem like a major holiday movie theme, but I kid you not, there were at least 3 movies about pickpockets/ bank robbers/ burglars on yesterday. To be fair, I gave up on watching the pickpocket movie about 20 minutes in, but I suspect Mary Stuart Masterson decides not to steal anymore. And I bet that Tony Danza decides not to rob the bank. I'm not as confident that Shannen Doherty decides not to rob houses, but given the genre, I suspect she does the right thing.

As I write, I am watching a movie that combines the best of both genres. Holiday in Handcuffs features Melissa Joan Hart as a single (non-career) chick who steals Mario Lopez for Christmas. (Yes, I know it is hard to imagine anyone wanting to kidnap A.C. Slater, but I guess Mark-Paul Gosselaar wasn't available.) Its not over yet, but I bet they fall in love and she learns that kidnapping is wrong.

'Tis the season.

3 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

Are you kidding?! Didn't you see Mario on Dancing with the Stars?? He is hot stuff these days! All the girls swoon for him.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

Holiday in Handcuffs is yet another example of THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger suzaaku said...

maybe the fact that i'm not stealing something/wearing xmas boxers/yelling at my fictional assistants is why i haven't had that kind of magical xmas...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home