ReallyTopDrawer

Monday, November 26, 2007

My Favorite Things

After weeks of cranky pants comments, I've decided to redeem myself with a nice cheery list.

I was all set to channel my inner Julie Andrews. Sadly, it turns out Oprah beat me to the punch and released her list of Favorite Things last week. Perhaps even more sadly, I didn't get any free stuff to inspire my list (Oprah is so lucky), and you aren't getting any free stuff for hearing about it. Alas.

Ramona Quimby's Favorite Things, 2007 edition:

CRAFT magazine blog-- if you like to make stuff, or contemplate making stuff, this is the best blog ever.

not martha. This blog is like having an uber crafty creative friend who always has her finger on the pulse of the next hip thing to make or covet.

Carolyn Hax & Tell Me About It. You know how sometimes you wish you could say what people need to hear, rather than what they want to hear? That's Carolyn Hax. Columns are great; weekly chats are even better.

the Bug Theatre's Santaland Diaries. 'Tis the season for the exploits of David Sedaris as a Macy's elf. Thanks to Nancy Drew, this is one of my new favorite Christmas traditions.

The Waltons. Some people will tell you that this classic '70s show is schmaltzy. They are wrong. This is a great family drama set against the backdrop of the Blue Ridge Mountains during the Depression and World War II. Yes, the family cares about each other. Yes, their problems are neatly wrapped up in an hour, with enough time for everyone to say goodnight. Yes, the brass in the soundtrack often blares too loudly during dramatic scenes. I don't care, its still lovely television.

Dirty Sexy Money. Imagine John-Boy with a transvestite girlfriend and Olivia having a torrid affair with Mr. Godsey. This is the modern anti-Waltons.

Tim Gunn. Yes, Tim Gunn's Guide to Style is a bit... tedious. But after seasons of watching his saintly calm and restraint on Project Runway (a favorite thing in its own right), its lovely to see him let loose a bit. Those scenes where he giggles with Veronica Webb... priceless. Or, if you just can't handle the show, stick to his blog.

The Long Winter. One of the best books ever. Now that winter has descended upon Denver, its the perfect time to curl up and read about the Ingalls' plight to survive.

Finally, the Turkey Newton at mise en place. Seriously. If you work in LoDo, you should really stop by and get one this week. I'm over turkey, but this sandwich is sublime.

4 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger Marcia said...

Your favorite things are much better than Oprah's. I already added CRAFT and notmartha to my google reader -- and voila! I have two of your favorite things delivered to my inbox for freeeeeeeeeee!

I caught up on my Project Runway and Tim Gunn's guide to style last night as I crafted (how perfect is that . . . although it would have been better if I had a split screen on which I could have watched The Waltons/Dirty Sexy Money and listened to the Long Winter on my mp3 player.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

What a wonderful list! I totally agree with Mame, it is much better than Oprah's. I wish I could try a Turkey Newton right now!!

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger suzaaku said...

btw, mame and ramona can TOTALLY make most of the stuff on Oprah's list :)

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

hee hee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home