ReallyTopDrawer

Friday, July 13, 2007

Glamping

Ramona, this is for you!

I saw a short segment on the Today Show about Glamping, or glamorous camping. In most cases those tents had furniture nicer than what I have in my apartment. Here is a Newsweek article about glamping gear you can buy as well as some places that offer glamping sites. USA Today also has some pretty pictures.

It's definitely expensive- on average guests pay 10,000 a week and families can pay 40-50,000 a week. Some sites are essentially resorts with tents- there are chefs and massage tents on site!

I think it's an odd trend. It's like being in nature without actually having to deal with being in nature. I feel like you miss out on the whole camping experience by doing this. You don't set up your tent, dig a ditch around the tent in case it rains, put your food in bear lockers and cook on the camping stove. I'm not the most hard core camper and sure I prefer places where they have actual shower facilities, but I feel like camping and being in nature is incomplete without those experiences. You're either part of it or you're not.

Some places bill it as an incentive to get your kids to enjoy nature and come along on these trips. But it seems like if the only way to get them to go "camping" is to offer them 5-star accommodations, you're not really cultivating a love of nature and camping in them.

What's next, "hiking" with Segways?

2 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

Yeah, I'm not much of a camper either, but this just seems ridiculous to me. Why not just stay at the Hilton and go hiking during the day? What's the point of camping without a campfire? Don't these people have better things to spend their money on?

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a great compromise for those who want to hear the birds and nature from the bed of their tent and experience nature without the hassels of mosquitos, sweat and dirt. I am a mother and love to camp, but also want to be pampered. My friend hates the outdoors and her husband loves it, so this is a great compromise for them!!!! Maybe it's not "camping", but whatever you want to call it, I'm all for it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home