ReallyTopDrawer

Monday, June 11, 2007

One, Two, Three...

I read once that the 2nd movie in a trilogy is always the best. The first one is mostly exposition because it's setting up the scene and all the characters. The second one can build on it however it likes (Han Solo encased in carbonite, the *hint* of the Phoenix in the waters), but then third one must include the big pay off (giant explosions and victories) and people have to run around and tie off ALL the loose ends (Lord of the Rings was great but how many times did you think the movie was just about to end?).

Sadly, I feel like this summer's "thirds" are all pretty uninspired. Shrek 3, Pirates 3, Spidey 3, Oceans 1"3", and horrors upon horrors, Rush Hour 3 (I used to think I can enjoy Jackie Chan's American movies by ignoring the part of me that was the Asian American Studies minor, but no more!). None of them inspire me to step into the theater (except for our friendly neighborhood Spiderman), even to escape the 90+ degree weather here. And I like blockbusters and explosions and movies that deafen you!

So thus far this is the summer of smaller films: Hot Fuzz, Paris Je'taime, Waitress.

I've also stopped picking up books that are labeled "Book 1 of ..." unless I love the author and I'm also started watching self-contained show like CSI (the killer confessed!), Ace of Cakes (everyone gets beautiful and creative cakes!).

Maybe I'm just impatient and I want the payoff NOW (otherwise known as the "Lost" syndrome?). Maybe I just can't commit. Maybe I just want a brilliant told story that has a clear beginning, middle, and end. Somebody just tell me what happens!

6 Comments:

At 5:48 AM, Blogger Marcia said...

LOVE Ace of Cakes! My favorite cake from last season was the Taj Mahal cake, I think. The problem with those cakes is that they do not look like they actually would be very deeelishous to eat (unlike the cake that Nancy made last August!)

And pray tell, can you explain the "Lost" syndrome? Is it because "Lost" never pays off or because it always pays off? I'm not a "Lost" watcher . . . although maybe I should be.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

I think it's that Lost never pays off. I recently became totally addicted to Lost and Netflixed the first two seasons to catch up. I think because I watched all three seasons pretty quickly, I haven't suffered the worst of the lost syndrome - because it did feel like the questions got answered pretty quickly for me. But if I'd had to watch it all over three years I think I'd be mad.

I will say, though, that they do some great story-telling and character development. But now I'm annoyed because I have to wait until NEXT JANUARY to see what happens next. Sigh. But I'm a sucker for those kinds of shows - where you get invested in characters over time and storylines take years to unfold. Witness my previous obsessions with Buffy and Alias.

OK, Wow, longest comment ever. I'm shutting up now.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger suzaaku said...

On Buffy and Alias there were story arcs that paid off each season, though. Buffy had a "big bad" each season and with Alias they did things like take down SD6 or foil Sloane's evil plot of the season.

And even though Lost is coming back in Jan, there are 3 more seasons! And you probably won't get a "real answer" until it's over.

As for the "Lost Syndrome" I was referring to things being dragged out on and on and on without a feeling of resolution. Kind of like cabin fever, but with a TV show. So I guess it's more like a "syndrome caused by Lost"

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Marcia said...

I totally get that "cabin fever" thing, but with a TV show. I think that there might be a really important relationship between how looooooooooong the story line is drawn out and how good the pay off has to be.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

That's definitely true. But I do feel like Lost has answered questions along the way. It's just gonna take longer to get the whole big picture. But I like that about the show - they answer questions and then raise more. And I do have faith that the crators/writers know what they're doing and it will all come together in the end. And I can't wait for that!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger suzaaku said...

hopefully they don't leave you like the Sopranos did...

I can see how that's an innovative and creative show and he's doing it on his own terms. But it's frustrating if you have been following the show for 6 seasons (which I haven't). But imagine if at the end of Alias, the last shot was Sydney Bristow walking into the cave and seeing Sloane. Then an expression of surprise on both their faces. and then cut to black.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home