ReallyTopDrawer

Monday, June 11, 2007

Pie Thoughts and Feminist Theory; inspired by "Waitress"

Ramona, Suzaaku and I went to see the delightful movie Waitress this weekend (Nancy! We missed you!).

Ramona noted that amateur feminist theorists such as ourselves could go to town with this movie: gender; marriage; frienships between women; violence; class; the mystique of the feminine; motherhood as transformative miracle. The two things that stuck with me most from the movie were a) the insidious insecurity of the controlling husband Earl -- scary mostly because you couldn't actually predict what he might do next and b) the pie.

About the pie. Waitress should win a cinematography award for the pie camera work- what glorious images of pie-making. In the credits are listed Pie Gaffer and Pie Mistress - a slice of pie to them.

Mr. Mame's mamma makes great pies -- so when she comes for a visit, I'm going to ask her to put me through pie boot-camp. Last time I tried to make pie, I ended up in tears . . . the crust was just not RIGHT.

8 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

Pies are hard. I have a super-easy pie crust recipe though! I'll post it here and maybe that will help!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Marcia said...

Hurray for pie crust recipes!!! Bring 'em on!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger thew said...

I'll try to remember to post my butter crust recipe. It usually turns out pretty well and isn't that hard. As long as you have a pastry knife, which any self-respecting baker should, it's pretty easy.

I'm picky about my pie crusts. I only like butter crusts. Shortening crusts are Nasty. That's right. Capital N.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger thew said...

Also, I too also struck by the "motherhood as transformative miracle" aspect of this film. This movie and "Knocked Up" both have endings where the arrival of a baby seems to miraculously solve all the problems in their lives. I dunno, maybe babies are the ultimate answer and I'll learn this if/when I have one of my own, but somehow I doubt that it really works that way.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

Butter crusts? Interesting. My great-grandma used to use LARD! but then she switched to shortening. Mr. Mame's mamma uses butter flavored shortening.

Knocked Up does the arrival of the baby miraculously solves all problems things? Seriously? Geez - I was hoping that at least would have a dose of good sense.

Perhaps it is not the arrival of the sack of cuddly goodness that makes all the problems go away; but the supreme perspective you get about how life is not all bad after you go through such EXCRUCIATING pain during labor??? If that's the case Thew, you simply won't be able to have all of your problems solved by a kiddie pie. Dang it!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

I use shortening in my crusts and they are generally delicious. I've used butter before and it was good too - but I found it harder to work with. I forgot to bring my cheater pie crust recipe with me today...shoot!

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger suzaaku said...

pie party! pie party!

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Marcia said...

Thew? Nancy? Where are those promised pie crust recipes!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home