ReallyTopDrawer

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Moratorium on Black Plastic Glasses

I was flipping around between a few different TV shows last night and it occurred to me: it seems that every man between the ages of 25 and 45 who fancies himself something of a hipster wears the same black, plastic, rectangular framed glasses. Like this:

It really has reached a ridiculous level. Note to all you men out there: your glasses are no longer funky or hip when EVERY OTHER MAN in your demographic with eye trouble is also wearing them!

Don't get me wrong, I love glasses as accessories. They can be fashionable and fabulous. But it's time to give the black plastic frames a rest, gentlemen. Try wire frames. Or brown. Or green! There are so many styles out there to choose from! Live a little.

3 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

What do you think of these alternative eye wear suggestions Miss Nancy?:

http://www.inspecs.com/conran_new/images/6513-007.jpg
http://www.inspecs.com/product/images/product_07/ofc_6511_005.jpg
http://www.inspecs.com/product/images/product_07/onf_6511_062.jpg
http://www.inspecs.com/product/images/product_07/ar_6504_005.jpg

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger suzaaku said...

Although, to be fair, I remember sitting at some meeting or training and realizing that plastic/boxy framed glasses also seemed to be the frame of choice for progressive women (I don't really remember about the men but I feel like they went more for wire-rimmed glasses). But there were more colors and slightly different styles and very few people had black.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

Mame, I like all of those frames! Great finds. See, gentlemen, there are many fashionable and funky eyewear options out there! Branch out!

And you're right suzaaku, it's not just a problem among hipster men. But it really stood out to me while watching Last Comic Standing and whatever else I was flipping between the other night. Actually, one of the reasons I wanted new glasses so badly last summer was because I felt like I had held on to the slightly-retro-tortoise-shell frames trend for too long. Now I love my sassy red frames!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home