ReallyTopDrawer

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Food Review: Baby Pineapple

The other day, I was walking through the grocery store and saw baby pineapple. They were so cute, and I love pineapple so much, I just had to get one. It was about 6 " tall and it smelled sweet and pineappley. Yum!

Sadly, by the time I was done cutting the rind off, there were only about 5 edible bites of pineapple. And it was kind of bitter and odd tasting. Not as sweet and juicy as I had hoped.

So the moral of the story is: baby pineapples are cute to look at, and would make good decorations for a tikki-themed party, but not really worth it for the eats.

5 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Marcia said...

Thanks for the heads up Nancy. I've seen those in the store too and was sorely tempted.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger suzaaku said...

i'll remember not to use it for my pineapple fried rice recipe. seems like it would be difficult to serve something in there as well.

that's kind of too bad, since i definitely can't eat an entire pineapple by myself

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Tenly said...

Excellent food review. Know of any place in Denver where I can find baby artichokes, and during what season? My understanding is that they don't have any of the internal fuzz or outer spikeyness that fully grown ones have, so you can grill or fry them and eat them whole! I haven't found them yet...

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Tenly said...

I just remembered that I actually had some fried baby artichokes at a restaurant in NYC last year. I could've eaten them all night.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

Mmmmm, baby artichokes sound fabulous. I don't know where you would find them, though. I'd guess Whole Foods, but that's purely a guess. Mamie, Ramona, Suzaaku... any ideas?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home