ReallyTopDrawer

Friday, March 31, 2006

Ben Folds Rocks!

I saw Ben Folds in concert last night and was reminded once again just how incredible he is. Obviously, my camera phone leaves something to be desired in terms of quality, but this photo actually captures the energy of the show quite nicely.

This guy is so full of talent, it boggles the mind. He wrings more music out of a piano than seems possible. He pours so much energy into, the piano literally rocks. He stands up at the piano, jumps around, plays the piano with one hand and a maraca with the other (in different rhythms, mind you). He writes witty, thoughtful lyrics. He tells fantastic stories.

I saw him play in Raleigh, his home town, so that was a special treat. He told quite a few stories about growing up in the area and the crowd clearly loved it.

There were a ton of young people there. I felt old among all the apparent high school and college age kids aroud us. But really, that gives me hope - if the younger generation loves Ben Folds, then there must be hope for the world.

If you haven't listened to Ben lately, I highly recommend it.

2 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Marcia said...

I like how you talk about the "younger generation." Isn't that you? Isn't that us? Aren't we young anymore!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Ramona Quimby said...

Uh, Mame? Quick quiz... what did you do Friday night?

If you were part of the younger generation, the answer would be dancing until 2am, praying in the streets, and far too many jello shots.

Back to Ben... I love him! I've loved him for a long time, but Nancy Drew recently sent me a copy of him doing a storytellers-type thing on itunes.

He tells great stories about growing up, wanting to be a musician, and also the backstory of some of his songs (including the oh so controversial "Brick"... do you remember what a big deal that was when it came out? Was he talking about abortion or not? Was it a true story or make believe? I don't remember another song that provoked such gossip and obsessive analysis with the feminist college girl crowd...)

And he's cute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home