ReallyTopDrawer

Monday, January 09, 2006

Simple Winter Soup

I love cookbooks. I always get cookbooks for Christmas and this year I got The Best Recipes in the World from my grandmother and what a fabulous cookbook it is. Lots of great food writing - with interesting tidbits about world cuisine and a little blurb with every single recipe. I love that. It's been my bedtime reading for the last week.

So anyway, that inspires me to cook! But as I really dislike going to the grocery store, I could not make any of the exotic Vietnamese or Turkish or Peruvian dishes last night.

So I made a simple winter soup with what I had on hand:

4 C turkey stock (this was in my freezer - I made it with leftovers from Christmas turkey).
3 C homemade egg noodles (1 egg, 2 T milk, 1/2 t salt mixed together, then about 1 C flour to make stiff dough. Let rest 20 minutes. Roll out as thinly as you can. Cut into long strips)
1/2 bag frozen peas
1/2 C sliced celery
1/4 chopped fresh parsely
1/2 lemon (optional)
1/4 C grated swiss cheese (optional)
salt, pepper, thyme to taste.

Bring the stock to a boil - add pepper and thyme. Add the noodles and boil for 10 minutes. Add the peas, celery and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in parsely. Squeeze half lemon into soup. Garnish with the swiss cheese if desired. Yum

Simple, clear, fairly healthful. A nice winter soup that's not too heavy.

The Boy loved it, but said that he thinks next time we should add some chicken or turkey meat to the soup. I probably would have done that this time except that we did not have any on hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home