ReallyTopDrawer

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Nancy's Denver Top Ten

Spending the holidays in my hometown reminded me how much I love Denver. In my three weeks at home, I got to visit many of my favorite places and catch up with most of my favorite people. A couple of my friends recently moved back there, and were asking for recommendations of fun things to do in town, so that got me thinking...and I made a list. Here it is!

1. Buntport Theatre. 7th and Lipan. Specifically, Magnets on the Fridge, their live-theatre sitcom. So smart, so funny. Play Three Card Monte to determine how much you pay to get in. And really, everything I've seen there (for example, The Cliff's Notes to Beowulf) has been excellent.

2. Potager. Favorite restaurant in town, 11th and Ogden, near the Cap Hill Wild Oats. Delicious, seasonal food; friendly but not-too-pushy service; fabulous wine list. They don't take reservations, but it's worth a wait (or just go early or late and avoid the crowds!).

3. Peach Bread Pudding at Cafe Colore in Writer's Square. Best dessert in town. Warm, sweet peachy bread pudding with caramel sauce. Irresistible. And the rest of the menu is great too.

4. El Chapultapec, 20th and Market. Don't order food. It's not good (well, at least it doesn't look good, and the staff seem peeved when people order it). Go for drinks and great live jazz every night of the week. No dancing allowed, but you'll hear some terrific music.

5. First Fridays. Several neighborhoods (the Golden Triangle and north Santa Fe included) host "open house" events on the first Friday of each month. Stroll among the galleries, grab some food, enjoy great people-watching. Makes a great first date, especially when followed by a glass of wine at Potager.

6. My Brother's Bar, 15th and Platte. Best burger in town. Not so much because of the burgers themselves (though they are tasty) but because of the fabulous condiment trays. Spicier pals recommend the JCB (Jalapeno Cream Cheese Burger) but I'm too wimpy for that. Also good beer, good atmosphere, plus it was a Kerouac hang-out back in the day.

7. Two favorite places for tasty frozen treats: Gelazzi in Larimer Square for dee-lish gelato. Licks for real ice cream on 13th and Vine. Take a cone for a stroll around Cheesman Park while you're in the neighborhood.

8. Forest Room Five, on 15th St. up the road from My Brother's Bar and Shakespeare's. Hip little bar, cozy seating, good food. Perfect for drinks with pals, surprise birthday parties and the occasional indy movie screening.

9. Walnut Cafe. Favorite brunch spot. Colfax and Logan-ish (maybe Grant?) near the Capitol. Fabulous french toast, great omelets and quiches. Very busy on weekend mornings, but again, go early or late and it's no problem. So delicious.

10. 99.5 The Mountain. I discovered this radio station a couple years ago on a tip from my pal Jeff. It's independent (no Clear Channel!) and they play lots of good music. For example, the day before Springsteen came to town last year, they played the ENTIRE Bruce Springsteen collection. They also feature lots of local bands, which is cool. I love them. Fortunately, I can still listen to them online even though I am far away.

Other restaurants worth a shout-out:
* Hapa Sushi (Cherry Creek) - cheap late night happy hour deals, good atmosphere, tasty sake
* Carmine's on Penn (Bayaud and Pennsylvania, near Wash Park) - family style dee-lish Italian, very attractive wait staff, perfect for a group outing
* Cuba Cuba (11th and Delaware) - cozy place, fabulous Cuban food, good date-night place
* El Taco de Mexico (7th and Santa Fe) - The real deal Mexican food. Try the Chile Relleno Burrito. It's to die for.
* White Fence Farm (way the heck out in Lakewood or something) - Best. Fried. Chicken. Ever.

2 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

Potager! Jazz! Theater! I love Denver.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Tenly said...

Dear Nancy,

Kevin and I tried Hapa Sushi for our date nite last night! I thought you had recommended a nearby gelato shop called Gelato d'Italia, which we tried also, but now I see that I was mistaken. Anyway, we enjoyed Hapa and will certainly try to hit their happy hour sometime!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home