ReallyTopDrawer

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Writing Crushes

In the swing dancing world, when you are infatuated with someone's dancing, it's called a Lindy Crush ("lindy" for lindy hop, the prevailing swing dance). You may not be attracted to the person, you may not know them, you may not even like them. But you have a connection within the dance and it's powerful. Sometimes Lindy Crushes can lead you astray, but for the most part they are just good fun.

Over the past couple of years I have discovered that I am sometimes attracted to (or turned off by) a person's writing ability. Two or three years ago, I had a little lindy crush on this one particular dancer. He also seemed like a pretty nice guy and was very cute. So we flirted and danced a bunch and at some point exchanged e-mail addresses. He e-mailed me a couple days later and my crush came to an abrupt end.

The guy was just a terrible writer. I will be the first to admit that I am something of a language/writing/grammar snob. I appreciate people who use language well. This particular guy did not. Not only did he use poor grammar and spelling, he didn't have anything interesting or clever to say at all. They were boring e-mails, written poorly. Ugh.

I was reminded of this yesterday because I read two terrific letters, both from the same person. We're currently getting applications in for the American Culture Program, and the application requires letters of recommendation from faculty and other sources. One particular faculty member submitted letters for two different students, and I was floored by them. The vocabulary, the grammar, the style...everything was terrific. He used some obscure vocabulary words, but without sounding pompous. He used semicolons and colons and dashes with alacrity. And he did it all with a certain sense of humor so that it was fun to read, not pretentious and stilted. A rare combination of wit, enthusiasm and elegant prose.

I don't think I can give you examples from the letters without at least walking (and likely crossing) the line of confidentiality, but trust me - they were a delight to read.

So now I find myself with a new kind of crush - the Writing Crush. I am intrigued by this individual who writes so gracefully. I hope I get to read more of his prose one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home