ReallyTopDrawer

Friday, September 30, 2005

The Joy of Small Things

Is that a book? I think perhaps it is. Nancy is right, the small things make all the difference. It is sad when you miss the little things of your old home and have not yet quite found the new little things about your new home. But I believe that the quest for the little things makes life fun and joyous.

One of the greatest weekends I had here in our little western city was when my brother and I went on a mexican food quest - we ate at only hole-in-the-wall taquerias for the entire weekend. And through that I found the most delicious and cheapest mexican food in the whole city. Fun fun!

This spring I just moved into a cute little house with my lovable sidekick. He's a real gem. And our house is just the coziest little thing. However, I do miss some small things about my girly-girl roommate lifestyle -- like HOME IMPROVEMENT TELEVISION. It is quite silly how much I miss the hour or so of HGTV that I used to watch with my roommate - and not just the programming, but the oh-so-witty banter as we discussed Debbie Travis's latest wacky idea. It's not that the boy won't "let" me watch HGTV or that he won't watch it with me sometimes, but honestly, it is just not the same.

But there are nice little things that happen now too. Last weekend the boy picked about 100 tomatoes from our 3 little tomato plants and we ate them til we couldn't stand them. Then I simmered up the mushy ones with some garlic and made a gorgeous braising sauce for some lamb shanks last night, and served that over yummy mashed potatoes. And the boy mashed the potatoes and I must say, they were done so perfectly. I never have the patience to mash them quite like that.

So here is to the little things. The joys of all the little things that we did, we remember, we share, and that we anticipate.

2 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

Good point, Mame. And in that spirit, here are 3 little things that I like about my new home.

1. I get to walk to work! And I can walk home for lunch when I want also!
2. My apartment is big and very sunny, and I can see the sunrise through my bedroom windows in the morning (if I happen to be up that early, like I was this morning).
3. The fries at the bar up the street from my house are pretty much best fries in the whole wide world. Seriously.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Marcia said...

Those are some very nice small things. I can't wait to come and eat some fries with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home