ReallyTopDrawer

Friday, September 30, 2005

The Mystery of the Little Things

Like the grocery store phenomenon, I'm finding that it's the little things that make moving to a new town hard. Sure, you can pretty easily find an apartment and furniture and whatnot, but it's the details that make the difference. For example...

Where can I find a good tailor? I need to get a bridesmaid dress altered, and my fabulous Russian tailor, Rita, is too far away to take care of me. Who will fix my clothes? And who will offer to fix me up with a "nice Russian boy?"

Where should I get my hair cut? I will admit, I am a little bit vain about my hair. I LOVED my hairdresser in Denver. Phil not only gave me great styles, he also hugged me when I walked in, asked about my love life and made me laugh. I am way past due for a hair cut but I am nervous about going someplace new.

What's a good place for brunch? Brunch is probably my favorite meal. I ate brunch with friends pretty often in my past life. Who has good omelettes here? Blueberrry granola pancakes? Strong coffee?

I know these are just things I have to learn over time - and believe me, I will keep you posted when I do. And I have made some progress already. For example, I can now get home from the Dollar Movie Theatre without going halfway to Bedford because I got on the wrong highway and couldn't find a place to turn around. That's a big bonus.

Perhaps I should write to the local paper and offer to do a weekly column on adjusting to life in Lynchburg. It would be fun, and then other people who move here might not be so lost. Hmmm, I'll let you know if that happens.

2 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Blogger Marcia said...

BTW, you should definitely do a weekly column for the local paper!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger JTW said...

Nancy,

The blueberry-granola pancakes at the Edina Grill at 50th & France in Minneapolis will knock your socks off. It's positively the most decadent 4,000 calories you will ever eat in one sitting. I like to add bananas and honeysuckle-mint syrup to mine...

The Law-Man

 

Post a Comment

<< Home