ReallyTopDrawer

Friday, October 07, 2005

Squash. Yum.

I love fall. The leaves are turning. The mornings are crisp.

And it is time for SQUASH. Summer squash is quite lovely. But "winter" squash (which I always buy and eat in the fall . . .) is a real special treat! I cooked spaghetti squash last night. Mmm mmmm good. With a little lamb/tomato/garlic/mushroom sauce on top. The spaqhetti strings of this squash are so fun -- why do you think it is like that? Anyone know the history of the spaghetti squash? Perhaps this bears some investigation. I'll look into it.

2 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

YUM! I love squash too. In fact, someone started a thread about squash on a discussion board recently, and there is quite a bit of controversy. People seem to either love it or hate it. I am in the love camp.

I also just saw an episode of "Good Eats" where Alton Brown was talking all about squash and made some yummy looking recipes.

I've never made spaghetti squash myself, but my mom used to make it once in a while. Can you advise on how to make it? Do you just stick the whole squash in the oven to roast it, or do you split it open first, or what? And your sauce sounds delicious too. Perfect fall foods.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Marcia said...

To prepare spaghettie squash there are a few options:
1) Boil it whole in a large pot of hot water. This is what I did last night. It was supposed to take 20-30 minutes. But it was not quite done, so finished it off with a bit of method #2 cooking (see below)
2) Halve it, remove seeds, cover each half with plastic wrap and microwave for 15-20 minutes.
3) Halve it, remove seads, place in glass dish, put a little liquid of some sort in the hollowed out section and put in oven for an hour or so on abotu 350.

You can tell it is done when the color/texture look changes from yellowish-white to just yellowy w/ a bit of translucency. Also, the strings pull apart very easily when it is done.

Once it is done, use a fork to pull out all the strings. Last night, I tossed the strings in a bowl with about 2T olive oil, 1tsp salt, and some black pepper.

Spaghetti squash is not just delicious, it is FUN!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home