ReallyTopDrawer

Monday, January 09, 2006

Girls Kick Ass on Roller Skates

A&E's got a new show called Rollergirls and I am totally in love with it. I've only seen one episode, but I fear I have a new addiction. It's about a roller-derby league in Austin, TX. It profiles different women in the league for each episode.

I didn't know anything about roller derby before I watched the show, but it looks way cool. As I understand it, there are 10 women on the track at a time - 5 for each team: four blockers and one jammer. The blockers skate in a pack and try to stop the opposite team's jammer from getting through the pack. The first jammer to make it through the pack becomes the "lead jammer" and can call off the match at any time. Then they score points by lapping the pack and passing as many opposing blockers as possible. Sound confusing? Yes. But once you watch a match of two it becomes clearer.

The play can get a little rough and the women are totally bad-ass. But also very girlie and feminine for the most part. The thing I loved most about the episode I saw was the team spirit and girl power. The teams seemed really close, and off the track there was a general comeraderie among the whole league. They kicked ass and fought hard during the match, but then all went out for drinks together.

The episode I watched followed a rookie jammer, "Venis Envy," in her first match. She was really nervous because she would be jamming against one of the best in the league, "Lux," a woman she had watched and looked up to as she learned the game. In their match, Venis beat the Lux and she was SO excited. Then at the bar later, the two were talking and the Lux said, "I don't even remember how the points came out in that bout." Venis said, "It was 3-2, I beat you." And then Lux said, "No way! That's awesome!" and gave her a big hug. Like she was really proud of Venis for doing so well, even though it was at her expense. So cool.

Anywho, if you're in the mood for gilrs kicking ass on roller skates, I highly recommend Rollergirls. It's on A&E about every 15 minutes, so you can hardly miss it.

1 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

Roller girls rock. Let's start our own roller derby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home