ReallyTopDrawer

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Butternut Squash Soup

My pal Bobbi and I made some dee-lish soup Friday night! We were very excited about it. Recipe is below, courtesy of the Barefoot Contessa. My apartment smelled like curry all day yesterday, but that was pleasant enough. The soup really was fantastic, and quite simple to make.

Dan, perhaps we'll have to hold a Squash Soup Throwdown in December?

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons good olive oil
4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 large)
2 tablespoons mild curry powder
5 pounds butternut squash (2 large)
1 1/2 pounds sweet apples, such as McIntosh (4 apples)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups water
2 cups good apple cider or juice


Warm the butter, olive oil, onions, and curry powder in a large stockpot uncovered over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until the onions are tender. Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pot.

Peel the squash, cut in half, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into chunks. Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Cut into chunks.

Add the squash, apples, salt, pepper, and 2 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, until the squash and apples are very soft. Process the soup through a food mill fitted with a large blade, or puree it coarsely in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.

Pour the soup back into the pot. Add the apple cider or juice and enough water to make the soup the consistency you like; it should be slightly sweet and quite thick. Check the salt and pepper and serve hot.

Our fabulous spread: Soup, bread, rum and ginger ale, Lost Season 2


Nancy, very excited to taste my soup!

5 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

Do you have any left? I think I need to get on the next flight to the burg to have a bowl for myself!

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

Oh my goodness, I had SO MUCH left over I've been eating tasty soup for days! There's still some in my fridge if you want to hop a flight! Or perhaps I'll just make some for our Top Drawer Condo in Aspen...yummmmm! Or both! :)

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Dan Drayer said...

Wait one cotton picking second here...nobody said anything about a butternut squash throwdown in Aspen! That changes this whole picture, now doesn't it???
And don't give me that "Boys Are Allowed" junk....

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

Don't worry, Dan. I'll just do a practice run in Aspen to hone by soupy skills and then we'll throw down in D-town. Any volunteers to judge this momentous event?

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Tenly said...

Oh, I'll judge, definitely. Points will be deducted from the score of anyone who uses the phrase "cotton picking" during the contest, however.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home