ReallyTopDrawer

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Tour Madness

I probably should have posted this at the beginning of the tour but I think everyone who's talked to me recently has gotten an earful about the tour. It's funny because I don't watch cycling for most of the year and the last time i rode my bike was probably going back to my dorm after presenting my senior thesis.

But it's fun to have something you can be obsessed about for three weeks (to the degree of waking up at 6:30 am every morning and sometimes even earlier and constantly reading about it and telling other people about it) and leave behind until the next year. And it's especially nice when you're stressed out about other things because when you need to, you can totally turn your focus to this other thing where no other thoughts you intrude while you're watching or reading about it.

Ulimately I think it's a beautiful thing to watch people at the top of their game. Whether it's an incredible goal or a three point shot or the way someone directs and subtly maneuvers a pack of cyclists and then breaks them.

5 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

Everything I know about bicycle racing I learned from The Triplets of Belleville. Which was a great movie. But did not really equip me for a discussion of the tour. How's your boy Floyd doing?

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger suzaaku said...

I love the song from Triplets of Belleville! I think the main guy looks like Andy Mac, esp if you've ever seen him hunched over a computer.

Poor Floyd Landis, today definitely wasn't his day. He cracked on the last climb of the day and it was sad to watch.

It just underlines what a crazy wide open tour this has been. You never know what's gonna happen...

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Tenly said...

I HEARD FLOYD MADE UP A LOT OF TIME TODAY! HE'S IN THE RUNNING AGAIN! Anything can happen, of course, but here's hoping!

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger suzaaku said...

As my dad used to say "the ball is round, so you never know what's going to happen"

I guess that applies to cycling, too. Since the wheel is round and all...

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

Yay Floyd Landis! Gee Peggy, you sure know how to pick a winner!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home