ReallyTopDrawer

Monday, January 30, 2006

DC Craziness

I went up to DC this weekend and I had a terrific time. It had everything: old friends, new friends, good food, interesting conversations, beautiful weather, a crazy punk rock band, lots of tequila and beer, and diner food to nurse the hangover.

One of my favorite experiences of the weekend was eating chilli cheese fries at Ben's Chilli Bowl, a local fave in the U Street neighborhood. I'm not usually a huge fan of chilli cheese fries, but these things were amazing. Also delicious hot dogs. And really friendly staff who tried to teach us some phrases in Punjabi.

We spent quite a bit of our time in the U Street neighborhood because it is all kinds of fun. Great bars, cool restaurants, crazy night clubs...just a great vibe.

On Saturday night we saw a punk rock band called Deerhoof at the Black Cat. The band wasn't really my taste at all, but they were tons of fun and the scene was so hip and crazy that I had a great time. They had a modern dance troupe perform with them for part of the show, but we missed that part. Fortunately, the modern dancers were still hanging out in the audience and dancing around when we were there. So much creative energy in one room!

I also got to make a quick trip to Cake Love, the bakery of Food Network star Warren Brown. I'd seen his show, Sugar Rush, and also read about him in a book called What Should I Do With My Life. Cake Love is a tiny little bakery, but very cozy and friendly. I got a German Chocolate cupcake and it was fabulous. Next time I'm in town, I hope to visit the Love Cafe, their sit-down place across the street, and sample more goodies!

All in all, I highly recommend spending time in DC and, if at all possible, hanging around with my pal Heather and her friends while you're there.

9 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

Cake Love - what a great name for a bakery. I love cake.

Punk rock band! Funny!

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger suzaaku said...

That sounds like a really exciting time! :)

I find the host of Sugar Rush weird. I've tried watching the show but I think his speech cadences just bugs me.

In that book, what does he say you should do with your life?

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

The book is a bunch of profiles of interesting people who are trying to figure out (or have figured out) what to do with their lives. All the stories approach the question from a slightly different angle.

Warren Brown's story was about how he was an attorney in DC and one day decided that what he really wanted to do was bake cakes. So he started baking and playing with recipes and eventually opened his own bakery. A more detailed version of his story is on the Cake Love web site.

The book was great, and turned out to be very helpful in my own ponderings about what I should do with my life. I highly recommend it.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Nancy Drew said...

Oh, and he bugged me a lot too at first. He's just so awkward on camera. But now I kind of find it endearing. Plus he always goes to these super cool places and finds CRAZY desserts, so I think it's worth putting up with his awkwardness for that.

And he makes a damn good German Chocolate cupcake.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger JTW said...

hey, babe, come visit me in DC this summer! we'll have a smashing time!

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your royal canin dog food post!

Keep up the good work :-)

If you're interested, my royal canin dog food related site is giving away free dog treat recipes... a great way to spoil your dog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home